THE PATRIOT SUBARU ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY:
The associates of Patriot Subaru pledge to be good stewards of the environment and will work together to eliminate the risks of our business operation by:
- Recycling all used materials appropriately in all departments.
- Conserving natural resources by reducing, reusing, and recycling materials and energy.
- Complying with all environmental laws and regulations and other requirements related to our business operations.
- Remaining conscious of the carbon footprint within their area of work and pledging to constantly try to reduce it.
- Remaining a non-smoking facility.
We built Patriot Subaru keeping the natural resources of Maine in mind, and we have continually improved our performance in relation to the environment. In 2010 we re-dedicated our efforts to becoming the most environmentally conscious dealership in the country. We strive to be a leader in environmental guidance for all dealerships in the country, and provide a good leadership example for all businesses. Patriot Subaru continues to work and improve the entire dealership as it relates to all things green. We've adopted policies that have lowered our energy use and expanded our recycling efforts. We promote "thinking green" practices on everything we do, striving to be better, both at the store and at home. It's the right thing to do. Patriot developed a comprehensive green strategy with McMillian Doolittle, to go from retailing to greentailing. It is built on four cornerstones:
- Think Green: Corporate objectives and commitment to sustainability practices.
- Act Green: Broad view of actionable strategies - facilities, fixtures, packaging, and more.
- Sell Green: Extent to which green products and services are promoted and sold.
- Convey Green: Lead by example, and communicate the commitment.
We put our plan into action!
THIS IS HOW WE ARE PATRIOT GREEN
- Patriot Subaru uses the Energy Star Guidelines to Energy Management. We recommend that all businesses utilize this template to save energy and reduce waste.
- Patriot Subaru has over 90 appliances in the store. 33 Computers, 33 Monitors, 22 Printers, 2 Televisions, 1 Refrigerator, 1 Microwave, and they are all Energy Star Rated.
- Replaced the balloon displays to live hanging plants
- We burn zero oil - propane heat
- Recycle 100% of waste oil
- Created an organic vegetable garden
- Zero Irrigation landscaping
- Composting (daily) for use in the garden
- Zero landfill facility
- Active Recycling Program for all associates and departments
- Use of organic cleaning materials throughout the building
- Cleaners purchased in 55 gallon drums and dispersed in refillable hand pump bottles.
- Offering of PZEV Vehicles
- All fluids recycled or reused
- Tire Recycling
- Proper battery, CRT and light bulb recycling and disposal
- Recycling for lead weights that have been removed from wheels
- Use steel wheel weights "not lead"
- Use of recycled compostable paper cups (replaced styrofoam)
- No outside paging (noise abatement)
- Natural Landscape
- Chemical free pest control
- Chemical free snow removal
- Bird houses on premises
THIS IS HOW PATRIOT SUBARU REDUCES ENERGY:
- Bicycles for loan - substitute transportation
- PZEV vehicles
- Switched from styro plates to recyclable paper products
- Recycling water
- Reusable merchandising materials
- Patriot Subaru reusable tote bags and coffee mugs
- Wireless internet with terminals for customers (less print and paper use)
- Climate controlled basement
- Bicycle racks on premise
- Highly fuel efficient brand
- Lifetime warranty to eliminate vehicles going to scrap
- Shipping all bubble wrap (plastic) back to shipper
- Replaced bottled water with filtered water
- Energy Star Computer Monitors and appliances throughout building
- Green committee meeting weekly to discuss more ideas and implementation
- Meeting with trash contractor to assure 100% recycle and separation policy
- Light sensors for outside lighting
- Motion light switches throughout
- Shut down strips / surge protectors
- Skylites throughout the entire building
- Installing LED outdoor lighting (80% power reduction) (SEE PHOTO)
THIS IS HOW WE PROMOTE HEALTHIER LIVING:
- Pull the plug policy - removing chargers and not in use appliances
- Energy Star Certification
- Turn it off policy - shut down of computers when not in use
- Associates riding bicycles to work
- Installed ceiling fans for more efficient heating and cooling
- Have fireplace in showroom
- Highly fuel efficient brand
- Climate controlled subterranean storage area
- Reduced trash pick up from 2x per week to one through recycling
- HVAC system cleaned and filters changed to optimize efficiency
- Manually adjust (and have programmable) thermostats to control HVAC
- Signs placed throughout building to ask our customers to join in our energy reduction campaign
- Compressor is on a timer (shut down automatically when not in use)
- Maximized use of natural light
The Patriot Subaru showroom is decorated with hanging plants. They look great! Patriot Subaru Recycling Center.
- Pay 100% of associates health insurance, dental insurance and vision insurance premium
- Fully equipped gym on premise at no cost to associates
- Associates bicycle to work program
- No Smoking policy for associates (on premise)
- Charitable giving towards local health related organizations
- Healthy lunch program
- Healthy food options
- Active bicycle club
- Active walking club
- Safety eye wear provided free of charge
- No use of golf carts - endorse walking
- Professional Counseling available
- Dog friendly property
- Quarterly Red Cross Blood Drives
- Rubber mats for standing working areas
- Community activity commitment
- Active weight loss program
- Associate planted and maintained organic garden
Automatic Office Lights Growing Green at Patriot!On the left, Jackie Parker and Peter Flanders took a break from selling, and starting sowing. We broke ground in the spring of 2010. The garden at Patriot Subaru is cared for and tended to by the employees. Tomatoes are the primary item, with many more items being added as we expand. Look for our fresh veggies at our weekly Saturday picnics! The picture on the right shows our garden in full bloom. Below, the vegetables of our labor.
The Subaru Eco-Friendly Assembly Plant
Did you know that the Subaru assembly plant in Lafayette, Indiana was the first ever car manufacturing plant to achieve zero landfill status?
Known as the Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) Manufacturing Plant, this facility recycles 99.3% of its leftover steel, plastic, wood, paper and glass, and then ships the other 0.7% to be incinerated and used to generate electricity by the city of Indianapolis. Absolutely everything is reused and recycled.
Here are 10 Tips for "Thinking Green" from Patriot Subaru
Sourced from The Sierra Club
1. Be bright about light
Make it a habit to turn off the lights when you're leaving any room for 15 minutes or more. Use Energy Star-rated light bulbs and fixtures, which use at least two-thirds less energy than regular lighting, and install timers or motion sensors that automatically shut off lights when they're not needed.
2. Maximize computer efficiency
Turn off your computer-and the power strip it's plugged into-when you leave for the day. Otherwise, you're still burning energy even if you're not burning the midnight oil. (Check with your IT department to make sure the computer doesn't need to be on to run backups or other maintenance.) During the day, setting your computer to go to sleep automatically during short breaks can cut energy use by 70 percent. Remember, screen savers don't save energy.
3. Print smarter
Make it a habit to print on both sides or use the back side of old documents for faxes, scrap paper, or drafts. Avoid color printing and print in draft mode whenever feasible. Buy chlorine-free paper with a higher percentage of post-consumer recycled content. Also consider switching to a lighter stock of paper or alternatives made from bamboo, hemp, organic cotton, or kenaf. Recycle toner and ink cartridges and buy remanufactured ones. According to Office Depot, each remanufactured toner cartridge "keeps approximately 2.5 pounds of metal and plastic out of landfills?and conserves about a half gallon of oil."
4. Go paperless when possible
Think before you print: could this be read or stored online instead? When you receive unwanted catalogs, newsletters, magazines, or junk mail, request to be removed from the mailing list before you recycle the item. Post employee manuals and similar materials online, rather than distribute print copies. They're easier to update that way too.
5. Ramp up your recycling
Make it a habit to recycle everything your company collects. Just about any kind of paper you would encounter in an office, including fax paper, envelopes, and junk mail, can be recycled. So can your old cell phone, PDA, or pager. Place recycling bins in accessible, high-traffic areas and provide clear information about what can and can not be recycled.
6. Close the loop
Purchase office supplies and furniture made from recycled materials.
7. Watch what (and how) you eat
Bring your own mug and dishware for those meals you eat at the office.
Make it a policy to provide reusable dishes, silverware, and glasses. Switch to Fair Trade and organic coffee and tea, and buy as much organic and local food as possible for parties and other events. Provide filtered drinking water to reduce bottled-water waste.
8. Rethink your travel
Invest in videoconferencing and other technological solutions that can reduce the amount of employee travel.
9. Reconsider your commute
Carpool, bike, or take transit to work, and/or telecommute when possible. Organize an office carpool board.
10. Create a healthy office environment
Make it a habit to use nontoxic cleaning products. Brighten up your cubicle with plants, which absorb indoor pollution.Buy furniture, carpeting, and paint that are free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and won't off-gas toxic chemicals.
Patriot Subaru, 769 Portland Road, Saco, Maine 04072.
Interested in how we have saved money by being green and efficient? Give us a call! Toll Free 1-866-284-7900.